Monday, February 09, 2015

Date Night

So I found myself alone for the whole weekend in New York City.  This was terrifying... I can't even eat alone, I usually go tomy car between classes at uni... I am just not great at being alone in public. So I did the only thing I knew how to do, I planned.

On Saturday after a banana pancake breakfast and a dance in the snow, I went downtown to the Fashion Institute Museum and went and saw two exhibtions 'Halston and YSL, Living through the 70s' (pretty self explanatory) and 'Faking It' which showed both licenced and counterfit copies of fashion next to the originals. This took a few hours but the day wasn't finished so I decided toget off the subway at Times Square and have a bit of a shop and see what was cheap at the TKTS booth. I went through the massive Disney and M&M stores before deciding that I wanted to see Kinky Boots that night. I didn't have a spare $150 for a ticket so did some Googling and found that they hold a ballot for $35 'obstructed view' tickets two hours before the show.

So I walked home and got ready for an early dinner. I walked a few blocks down towards the theatre before settling on a little diner for a burger and fries. I then rushed tothe theatre and was lucky enough to score  cheap tickets. I still had 2 hrs to kill so went next door for a much deserved cocktail. At the bar I met a few people who were kind enough to buy me a few drinks and teach me the rules of basketball. Kinky Boots started at 8 and it was a fantastic show. The only part of my view that was obstructed was the top right hand of the stage.... where nothing was happening anyway!

The next day I walked and walked and walked. Over 18kms! I walked from my hotel all the way up Madison to the top of Central Park then walked back down Lexington, stopping into a few shops along the way. I then made my way over to 5th and dropped into the most famous toy store in the world... FAO Schwarz. I then made my way home and started packing as was meeting with Maddie at 11.30pm to goup the Empire State Building. I took myself off to a late, fancy dinner of Salon and Tuna Tartare and Truffle and burnt butter ravioli. Maddie and her sister Annalise arrived and we set off for the Emipre State. Unfortunately due to 0% visibility we weren't allowed up, it was my last night in the city so I was crushed. The plus sidewas the guard let me take photos in his hat!! We then made our way back and stopped into H&M Times Square some midnight shopping!

I'm all packed and ready for my long journey home tomorrow. I can't say I'm looking forward to heading home but the girls are taking me out to breakfast so I think I may drown my sorrows in chocolate chip waffles!!

- K x

No comments: