Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Bright Lights, Big City

With me slightly better and Douggie still deathly ill we awoke on Wednesday morning for shopping... because how else can you possibly make Douggie feel worse. We hit up Macy's on 34th and all of the outlets on 14th. D did find some shoes but no fancy/work ones which was sad - damn size 15 feet! We were home by 4 so Douggie could nap before our 5.30pm dinner booking at Obao, a Thai Fusion restaurant in Hell's Kitchen.

Dinner was great but we finished up a little early so strolled to the theatre and called our grandparents to say Hi and updated them on our travels. We ended up seeing a show that Doug chose called 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' it was a great play but not a musical which is always my preference. Douggie absolutely loved it however for me the highlight was at the end when a golden retriever puppy ran out on stage... honestly, so cute. We then did some late night wondering/shopping in Times Square before heading to bed.

Thursday we decided to conquer the Upper East Side/5th ave and Central Park. After a heated argument about waffles and a quick stop at Macy's we headed to Wollman Ice Rink in Central Park. We had to wait an hour to get on the ice as it had been so warm it was melting and they had to refreeze it! So we shared a hotdog and made some squirrel friends in Central Park. 

Douggie Ice Skating was the least graceful thing imaginable, think Bambi on Ice. After he thought he got the hang of it he decided holding hand would be romantic and then almost pulled me down with him as he fell! For his punishment I decided Saks off 5th (the Saks discount store) would be perfect.
Anyone who goes to NY HAS to go to Saks off 5th. We're talking $400 Manolo Blahnik shoes and $1,000 Givenchy Bags. Unfortunely I couldn't justify a pair of $350 Patent Navy Strappy Jimmy Choos but did come away with a cute pair of Micheal Kors booties and some suede Halston black heels. We then ran home got ready for the basketball at Madison Sq Gardens.

The Brussels attack had happened earlier that day so security was crazy at MSG and took us around 45mins to get in. We saw the NY Knicks vs Chicago Bulls and it was a great game (not that I know anything about Basketball... I had a giant Pretzel, I was happy). I think Doug may end up running off with one of the Knicks City Dancers though! We decided against going up the Empire State Building as it was a bit foggy and ended up walking along 9th to look for dinner. We stumbled accross a great Thai Fusion place called Room Service. It had amazing decor and was inexpensive. I was extremely happy with my Wasabi Salmon Tartare and Chicken and Cashews and Douggies classic Massaman Curry and Chicken Satay, I also had a few VERY tasty Mango Mojito's!

Friday was our last day and after hitting up Macy's and Polo together Douggie and I decided to do a early fancy lunch uptown. We chose Tao as it looked very cool (google it, massive gold Buddha in the middle of the restaurant) and had an amazing express lunch of Japanese Fusion (yes, we love Asian fusion... it's a problem). To start I had Basil Chicken San Choy bao then a Sushimi Platter and finally the Chocolate Zen Parfait which was more like a Chocolate Tiramisu.

Doug and I then split up to do our own shopping as he wanted to concentrate on Shoes and I wanted to concentrate on... me. I wandered around the shop on 5th Ave and picked up some stuff for Mum before racing home to Doug to figure out our dinner plans.

As it was Good Friday and we stupidly hadn't pre-booked anywhere we only managed to get a table at 10.30 in the Meat Packing District. We headed uptown in an effort to get dessert before dinner at Serendipity 3 but they had a 45 minute wait! So we just headed over to Spice Market for a few drinks before dinner. Once again we had Thai Fusion food (okay, I know... enough already) we shared Thai Fried Chicken and Spring Rolls. I then had the Raw Platter comprising of Salmon Tartare, Crispy Hamachi Sushi Oysters, Soy Cured Salmon & Lobster Rolls... I think it was meant for 2 but believe me I managed.

We then skipped dessert and headed straight for the Empire State Building and luckily it was a perfectly clear night. Unluckily for me though we had to stop and read EVERY SINGLE SIGN about how it was built, thanks Doug. As it was 12.30 it was pretty quiet up there but the city was still glowing. We stayed up there for around an hour then headed home to pack and prepare for our 32hr journey home.

We woke up at 7.30 and after a quick final pack I rushed across the street solo for my last waffle fix which was amazing. We then caught the Bus to Newark and jetted to LAX.

We are now in LAX a little sleep deprived (and me once again starving for Fried Chicken - I have a problem). Our flight is in 6hrs and in 22hrs we will be home.

Amazing trip and I didn't kill Doug which is always a win!

Until next holiday.

- K x

No comments: